Why photograph only a small part of a scene when you can photograph absolutely everything?
Never miss the action ever again!
Introducing the Ricoh Theta V 360-degree spherical camera.
Click and move your mouse on the photo below to change the view. Zoom in and out with the slider in the lower-left corner, or go full-screen with the button in the lower-right corner.
Don’t forget to look up at the Milky Way!
Here’s a time-lapse of the Aurora Australis as seen from northern Tasmania, photographed by Daniel Lam, 7th November 2017. Best viewed in 4K:
This camera uses two 12MP CMOS sensors and two 1.3mm focal-length lenses (at f2.0) pointing in opposite directions. Sophisticated built-in software automatically stitches the footage from both cameras together to form a complete omnidirectional photograph. A built-in four-channel microphone allows you to capture directional audio, giving your videos a feel to them like nothing you’ve seen before.
This allows you to create immersive 360° still images and videos, including surround sound.
The camera is controllable via Ricoh’s Theta S iOS and Android apps:
- The Ricoh Theta S iPad/iPhone app is available here.
- The Ricoh Theta S Android app is available here.
Simply connect to the Theta V via its ad-hoc WiFi network, open the app, and start imaging!
Tap or click the black bar below to load it.
The camera can be used in automatic mode, shutter priority mode, ISO priority mode, or full manual mode. The full manual mode allows for capturing of nightscape photographs, including those of the Aurora Australis and Aurora Borealis (when it’s visible, of course).
There is a standard tripod adapter thread on the base of the camera.
It’s quite small – only 13cm tall, 4.5cm wide, and 2.3cm thick (including the bulbous lenses) (or 1.8cm thick, excluding the lenses).
Optional accessories (coming late 2017) will include a three-dimensional external microphone and a waterproof housing, allowing use of the Theta V underwater.
Importantly, this system supports High Dynamic Range (HDR) imaging, which improves image detail over non-HDR images. HDR works by merging bracketed photographs into one image, providing more detail in darker areas within photographs, while not over-exposing brighter areas.
Tap or click on the black bars below to load each image:
A full gallery of images created with the Ricoh Theta V is available here.
Further information about the Ricoh Theta V is available on the Theta360 website.
- Focus distance
- Approximately 10cm – ∞ (from front of lens)
- Shooting mode
- Still image: Auto, shutter priority, ISO priority, manual*1
- Exposure control mode
- Program AE, Shutter speed priority AE, ISO sensitivity AE, Manual exposure
- Exposure compensation
- Still image: Manual compensation (-2.0 – +2.0EV, 1/3EV step) *1
- ISO sensitivity (standard output sensitivity)
- Still image: (Automatic) ISO64 – 1600
(ISO priority mode) ISO64 – 3200 *1
(Manual mode)ISO64 – 3200 *1
Video: ISO64 – 6400
- White balance mode
- Still image: Auto, Outdoor, Shade, Cloudy, Incandescent light 1, Incandescent light 2, Daylight colour fluorescent light, Natural white fluorescent light, White fluorescent light, Light bulb colour fluorescent light, Color Temperature (2500 K to 10000K)*1,
- Shutter speed
- Still image: (Automatic) 1/25000 – 1/8 seconds,
(Shutter priority mode) 1/25000 – 1/8 seconds *1
(Manual mode) 1/25000 – 60 seconds *1
Video: 1/25000 – 1/30 seconds
- *1 A smartphone is required to change modes or configure manual settings.
- *2 The number of photos and time are guides only. The actual number differs according to the photography conditions.
- *3 Charge the battery by connecting it to a PC using the supplied USB cable.
- *4 The number of photos that can be taken is a guide based on RICOH’s measurement method. The actual number differs according to usage conditions.
- *5 Excluding lens section.
- *6 Automatic shut down if the internal temperature increases.
- *7 Dedicated app is for H.264 only. H.265 is a specification for future application due to publication of API.
- *8 My Settings and Interval composite functions are scheduled to be added with firmware update in the future.
- *9 RICOH THETA V OTHER COUNTRIES
(L85412/EDP CODE: 910727/RIM CODE: S0910727/JAN CODE: 4961311921599/UPC CODE: 026649107276) does not support 5GHz
- A complete list of the system’s specifications can be found here.